If you’re ready for an interdisciplinary, community-based first-year arts experience at the University of British Columbia, the Arts One program is for you!
Reserving Your Spot in the UBC Arts One program is easy!
- Fill out the online form (forthcoming).
- The Program Chairs and/or professors will assess your submission.
- You will be advised on your Arts One admission status.
- If you are accepted, we will hold a seat in your preferred seminar, meaning you can rest assured that you are accepted to and will have a seat in 18 credits of Arts One. Now you can go and figure out your other 12 credits of electives.
Arts One is open to any student accepted into the first year in the Faculty of Arts. Registration is first-come first-served, but we can reserve seats early for students who qualify. Arts One is a writing intensive course and prospective students should meet the criteria by submitting:
- A writing sample that shows your best work.
- We are looking for academic writing that involves textual analysis and critical argument. Personal essays and forms of creative writing will not suffice.
- Writing Sample can be a revision of any academic essay that you have written for a class, such as English, English Literature, World Literature, History, Philosophy, etc.
- There is no page limit, but typically the length is within 4-10 pages, double-spaced.
- A record of your high school grades supplied by your school or relevant government agency. We would like to see on your transcript:
- a minimum of 80% in English 12 or English Lit 12. (International students’ grades will be translated into British Columbia equivalents to determine eligibility. For US students this typically means a minimum of B+ is needed in senior year English.)
- or a minimum score of 4 in AP English.
- or a minimum score of 5 in IB Higher Level English Lit.
- Admission to the Faculty of Arts at UBC (Vancouver Campus only) is a prerequisite for admission to Arts One.
Please note: Students who have not achieved one of these minimum marks (or whose final marks are not yet available) are still encouraged to fill out the form to reserve your seat in Arts One. If you have questions about fulfilling any of these requirements, please contact our Arts One office at email@example.com
Updated: Jan. 15, 2021