ARTS ONE WAIT LIST:
If you are NOT currently registered in Arts One and wish to be placed on the wait list to join the program, send us an email.
The waitlist is not for those already in the program. If you need to switch your seminar, simply watch online (SSC) for a seat to become available in another seminar.
The ‘Reserve A Seat’ option will cease on Friday June 14, 2019.
Unreserved/general seats will be available for general First-Year registration on the SSC (Student Service Centre) when 1st-year registration begins on Tuesday June 18.
As with all UBC courses, students are able to drop/add any courses until the UBC add/drop dates. There is typically movement in most courses throughout the summer, so keep watch on the system for a seat and – if/when a seat in your chosen course becomes available – make a change.
If you’re ready for an interdisciplinary, community-based first-year arts experience at the University of British Columbia, you’re ready to “Reserve Your Spot” in the Arts One program.
Start by creating an account and application to UBC on the UBC undergraduate admissions site. You can then simultaneously work on the separate UBC application and the Arts One “Reserve Your Spot” form HERE. Admission to the Faculty of Arts at UBC (Vancouver Campus only) is a prerequisite for admission to the Arts One Program.
You are not required to apply to Arts One. However, the program can fill up fast and so we will reserve seats for students who qualify after they have been admitted to UBC. After you have provided the information below and we confirm that you qualify, we will contact you about registering for Arts One. We will begin reviewing complete applications after February 15, 2019 and continue until the summer registration period (or spaces fill up). We look forward to hearing from you!
Reserving Your Seat in the UBC Arts One Program is easy!
- Fill in the online ReserveASeat (right now, before reg even opens)
- The Program Chair and/or professors will assess your submission.
- You’ll be advised – yes or no – your status when it comes to registering in Arts One
- If yes, we’ll hold a seat in your preferred seminar.
- Meaning you can rest assured that you are accepted to and will have a seat in 18 credits of Arts One, and can go figure out your other 12 credits of electives.
Arts One is open to any student accepted into the first year in the Faculty of Arts or Science. Registration is first-come first-served, but we can reserve seats early for students who qualify. Arts One is a writing intensive course and students should ideally meet one of the following conditions:
- a minimum of 80% in English 12 or English Lit 12. (International students’ grades will be translated into British Columbia equivalents to determine eligibility. For US students this typically means a minimum of B+ is needed in senior year English)
- or a minimum score of 4 in AP English.
- or a minimum score of 5 in IB Higher Level English Lit.
Please note: Students who have not achieved one of these minimum marks (or whose final marks are not yet available) are still encouraged to fill out the form to reserve your seat in Arts One. If you have questions about fulfilling any of these requirements please contact our Arts One office at firstname.lastname@example.org